Call for papers :.
Dear ME and BME Grad Students:
The 5th Annual Graduate Student Symposium will be held on Saturday, October 23rd, 2004. The earlier four symposiums have been great successes, and we hope to continue the tradition this year.
The symposium has two main purposes. First, it gives current graduate students an opportunity to present their research in a relaxed environment. It is excellent preparation for a conference presentation or a preliminary exam. Also, this year we hope to have some industry sponsor's send recruiting teams out, so this is an excellent opportunity to get a head start on a job hunt. Anybody interested can present a talk and/or poster, there is no selection process! There will also be cash prizes for the best posters and presentations in each section. Second, the symposium provides new graduate students and those looking to do research with a chance to learn about what is going on in the department. It is an excellent opportunity to talk with the students who are doing research.
At this time, we are making a call for short abstracts (50-100 words) from all graduate students in the two departments. This paragraph or two should briefly describe what you would like to present in the form of a poster and/or a presentation. The deadline for submission is July 2, 2004. A template for the short abstract is available on the symposium website.
Please email the short abstract as an attachment, as well as your intention to give a talk and/or present a poster, to the session chair for your research area. The session chairs are:
ME Dept. :
- Dynamics, Systems and Controls - Sanghum (Eric) Baik (ericbaik AT umich DOT edu)
- Design and Manufacturing - Jianpeng Yue (yuej AT umich DOT edu)
- Solid Mechanics and Materials - Linda Chow (lindchow AT umich DOT edu)
- Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer and Combustion - Gerald I Fernandes (geraldif AT umich DOT edu)
BME Dept. :
- Bioelectronics - Alisha Diggs (adiggs AT umich DOT edu)
- Biomechanics - Adrienne Prysock (aprysock AT umich DOT edu)
- Bioimaging - Dhruv Sud (dsud AT umich DOT edu)
- Biomaterials - Jeff Meganck (meganckj AT umich DOT edu)
- Tissue Regeneration and Cellular Biotechnology - Ruth Chen (rchenz AT umich DOT edu)
Please contact myself (Bryon Sohns), the other co-chair (Grant Reeves <reevesg AT umich DOT edu>) or your respective session chair if you have any questions about the short abstract or the symposium itself.
We look forward to seeing many of you on October 23rd.