Site Map | Faculty Intranet | Staff Intranet | Student Intranet |


You are here

Taking care of yourself encompasses far more than simply proper nutrition and exercise--it includes physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. Life as a student is exciting and stimulating, but a healthy and balanced lifestyle can be a challenge to maintain given the demands of school. By promoting wellness, we hope to provide you with as much support and information as possible.

There are many places to find support on campus, but we know that the size of the University can make these resources difficult to identify and locate. We know, too, that it can be hard to get started when you need help. This page will provide a guide to a variety of health and wellness resources both at the ME department and on campus.

Taking Care of You!

Your lifestyle (including your eating habits, exercise patterns, sleep, recreational activities, social relationships, and more) can have a significant impact on how you feel and function. Taking steps to develop a healthier lifestyle can pay enormous dividends by reducing stress and improving your physical health. You will probably find some of the strategies below helpful.

  • Have a dependable support system of friends, family, and campus professionals. Feeling close and connected to others is important.
  • Maintain regular sleep patterns, even on weekends and vacations.
  • Get plenty of regular exercise. For exercise resources and facilities, see Go Out and Play! below.
  • Eat a healthy diet.
  • Avoid alcohol and don't abuse drugs.
  • Manage your stress. Seek academic help when you need it and don't be afraid to get guidance for roommate, financial, or relationship concerns.
  • Research has shown that relaxation techniques are an effective way to reduce not only stress but many of the symptoms associated with mental health disorders. Learn about some quick and easy techniques here.
  • If you suspect you may be depressed, see your doctor. Depression is a treatable illness. For other helpful resources, see the Mental Health Resources below.

Mental Health Resources

ME Department Resources

Academic Services Office
Graduate Chair Kevin Pipe, Undergraduate Chair Diann Brei, & Undergraduate and Graduate Programs Senior Advisor Melissa Cooper

School challenges can stem from academic as well as nonacademic problems. Kevin Pipe, Diann Brei, and Melissa Cooper are available to the graduate and undergraduate student community to provide advice. They encourage students to feel welcome to share their problems and concerns, large or small, whether or not they seem related to graduate school. You may want to make one of their offices the first stop when you are experiencing distress. They will direct you to other helpful resources as appropriate.


Counseling and Psychological Services
3100 Michigan Union 530 S. State Street* Phone: 734.764.8312 Hours: Mon-Thurs 8am-7pm, Fri 8am-5pm

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) has a professional staff that includes social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, and religious psychological counselors supplemented by student interns and peer counselors. Individual counseling is available to students for a wide range of personal and interpersonal concerns as well as for problem solving and referral to other campus organizations. The agency also provides a variety of group experiences, including ongoing group counseling and workshops on such topics as assertion training and overcoming exam anxiety.

U-M Psychiatric 24 Hours Emergency
Next to Emergency Medicine at University Hospital*1500 East Medical Center Drive 24 hour crisis line: 734.996.4747 Phone: 734.936.5900

Anyone seeking emergency psychiatric care can visit this 24-hour mental health crisis center or call the crisis line.

U-M Psychological Clinics
Suite 2463 East Hall 530 Church Street* Phone: 734.764.3471 Appointment required

The Psychological Clinic offers therapy for many difficulties and concerns, including, but not limited to, depression and anxiety, personal relationship problems, school and career difficulties, confusion or concern about sexual identities or preferences, problems dealing with an upsetting or traumatic event, and loss of a loved one or close relationship.


The Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) 
G-644 Haven Hall, 505 South State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1045, Phone: (734) 764-3000,

The Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides support services and academic accommodations to students with disabilities at the University of Michigan. SSD advocates for students with vision impairment, learning disabilities, mobility impairment, temporary disabilities, chronic health conditions, mental health conditions, and those who are deaf and hard of hearing.

While some students arrive at the University of Michigan with knowledge of their disabilities, it is normal for students to discover their disabilities for the first time while they are in college and/or graduate school. If you experience roadblocks during your time at the University of Michigan, we encourage you set-up an appointment with SSD, as they are staffed by trained professionals who can provide the appropriate support and accommodations for you.

Information on how to register with SSD can be found here: Please note that University Policy is two weeks' prior notice for any academic accommodation.

For more information about SSD and the support services they offer, please visit their homepage:

Resources from the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)

SSD Student Handbook:

SSD Academic Coaching:

SSD Resources and Technology:


Campus Mind Works
Campus Mind Works was created to support University of Michigan students who have been diagnosed with an ongoing mental health disorder. This site provides information and resources to help students manage their illness, such as treatments, medications, insurance, and strategies for managing academic challenges. You will find an extensive, easy-to-search resource database with U-M and community support services and useful tools to help you stay healthy while facing the unique challenges of academic life.

Those who want to help a friend with a mental health problem can learn which strategies are most effective and which to avoid by clicking here.

Comprehensive Depression Center (U-M)
Rachel Upjohn Building* 4250 Plymouth Road Ann Arbor, MI 48105-2700 Phone: 1-800-475-MICH (6424) or 734-936-440

The University of Michigan Depression Center was created to fight depression and its cousin, bipolar disorder. You can find information and treatment options for these common disorders, as well as others, on their website.

MiTalk (U-M)
MiTalk (pronounced "My Talk") is a website created for University of Michigan students and is the place to start if you have concerns about the mental health of yourself or a friend. On this site you will find a number of mental health resources, including information about living with chronic health conditions, online screenings for depression and anxiety, skill-building tools to help you manage stress and academic life, and digitally recorded workshops, lectures, and some relaxation exercises that you can play on the website or download to your mp3 player.

Rackham Mental Health Resources
The Rackham Graduate School has compiled a comprehensive listing of mental health resources, which you can access here.

Rackham's Mentoring Plan
Rackham and the University of Michigan are committed to establishing a supportive mentoring relationship between faculty advisors and their graduate students and postdoctoral scholars. To read more about the institutional, program, advisor, and student commitment to quality mentoring at U of M, please see Rackham's Mentoring Plan.

Especially for International Students
International students may experience some difficulties that are unique to them because of added pressure of adjusting to a new culture, language, and a different academic environment. For many international students, counseling may not be a common practice. However, in the United States, counseling is becoming a more common way of dealing with personal stress and difficulties. All U-M students have access to professional counselors. Talking with a professional counselor allows you the opportunity to discuss your concerns with someone in a safe, friendly, and culturally sensitive environment. Please see additional information just for international students.

University of Michigan Support Groups
Counseling and Psychological Services sponsors several support groups on a variety of issues ranging from depression, chronic illness, recovery and more. There are also a number of LGBTQ support groups on campus. Click here to view a listing.

Sometimes you may need health services that you must pay for on your own. If so, and if you need financial assistance, please contact the ME Academic Services Office.

*A map indicating the locations of these U-M mental health resources is available here.

Physical Health Resources


207 Fletcher Street, Ann Arbor Phone: 734.764.8325

UHS offers comprehensive outpatient medical services through their medical clinics. In addition to primary medical care, UHS offers a wide variety of specialty clinics, health support services, and health education materials.

UHS can manage minor emergencies (e.g., some cuts or broken bones). In case of minor emergency during open hours, go directly to UHS.

Advice when UHS is open: You may call your Clinician or Nurse Advice Line at 734-763-4511. For gynecological concerns, call the Gynecology Clinic at 734-763-9184.

If your situation is not life threatening, but you have an urgent health care concern that cannot wait until UHS opens, call their after-hours nurse at 734-662-5674. See also Emergency/After Hours.


If your condition is not life-threatening and UHS is closed, you may want to go to an urgent care facility* in Ann Arbor instead of an emergency room:

IHA After Hours Care
2090 Commonwealth, Ann Arbor, MI, 734-995-0308. Hours (verify before going): Monday-Friday 5-9pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm

Ann Arbor Urgent Care
1000 E. Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI, 734-769-3333. Hours (verify before going; last check-in is a half-hour before closing): Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am-6pm.

St. Joseph Mercy Maple Urgent Care
501 N. Maple Road, Ann Arbor, MI, 734-327-3933. Hours (verify before going): Monday-Friday 8am-8pm.

Premier Medicine
5958 Canton Center Road, Canton, MI, 734-454-5454 (note: this site does not participate with Premier Care). Hours (verify before going): Monday-Friday 9am-8pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am- 4pm.


If UHS or urgent care will not meet your needs, there are also two excellent hospitals* in the Ann Arbor area.

University Hospital
1500 E. Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI, 734-936-4000

St. Joseph Mercy Hospital
5301 McAuley Drive, Ypsilanti, MI, 734-712-3456

* Students are responsible for payment for any medical care received outside of UHS, including emergency room and ambulance services. These services are not covered by the health service fee.


Phone: 734.764.3155

The Dental Faculty Associates is a private practice setting within the School of Dentistry where patients are treated exclusively by faculty dentists. The Dental Faculty Associates offer a full range of dental services. Call for appointments and information.

Supporting Others

In everyone's lives, there are periods of sadness, discouragement, or difficulty in adjusting to new situations. It's not unusual to experience these feelings, but they can become a concern if they are frequent or prolonged or if they interfere in daily life.

Unfortunately, it is often difficult for people to seek support for their concerns. As a friend or family member, how do you know when you should encourage someone to get professional advice about these problems? How can you help a person in need? What can you do if you think the situation is urgent?

First, you need to recognize the signs that indicate that someone needs help. Mental Health America has a short list of general symptoms that can apply to a number of mental health conditions. In adults, signs include:

  • confused thinking
  • prolonged depression (sadness or irritability)
  • feelings of extreme highs and lows
  • excessive fears, worries, and anxieties
  • social withdrawal
  • dramatic changes in eating or sleeping habits
  • strong feelings of anger
  • delusions or hallucinations
  • growing inability to cope with daily problems and activities
  • suicidal thoughts
  • denial of obvious problems
  • numerous unexplained physical ailments
  • substance abuse

If a friend, family member, or fellow student is experiencing any of these symptoms and/or you have noticed changes in that person's academic life, in behavior with others, and in daily habits, he or she may be experiencing something more than just stress. This person may benefit from talking to a health care professional about how they are feeling.

What can you do to help? If you have decided to approach a friend, family member, or fellow student about your concerns, here are some suggestions that might be useful.

  • Talk to the individual in private when both of you have time and are not rushed.
  • Express your concern in specific nonjudgmental terms that reflect your concern for the well-being of the individual.
  • Listen to this person's thoughts and feelings in a sensitive, nonthreatening way.
  • Let the friend, family member, or fellow student know that you believe a consultation with a health care professional, like a staff member at CAPS, could be helpful.
  • If he or she becomes defensive, simply restate your concerns and recommendations.

The most important thing anyone can do for a person suffering from a mental health problem is to help him or her get an appropriate diagnosis and treatment from a health care professional.

Remember, all talk of suicide should be treated seriously and should be shared with someone in a position to help.

What if the situation is urgent? Urgent situations include such things as an individual expressing threats of harm to self or others verbally or in writing, or exhibiting troublesome behavior, such as excessive rage and incoherent thoughts. In emergency situations:

  • Provide a quiet and safe place for the individual, free from objects that can be used to inflict harm
  • Do not leave the individual alone if at all possible
  • Maintain a calm and supportive attitude
  • Make arrangements for immediate assistance by contacting one or more of the following resources:
    • 24 hour assistance: Department of Public Safety 734.763.1131
    • Psychiatric Emergency Services (University Hospital) 734.996.4747
    • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Monday-Thursday: 8am-7pm; Friday: 8am-5pm on during fall/winter semesters 734.764.8312

For additional information on this topic, visit the Campus Mind Works page.

Get Out and Play!

Getting physically active can result in increased overall wellness as well as increased physical fitness. Check out the suggestions below to get you started.

Ann Arbor Parks and Recreation
From bicycle trails to canoe liveries, Ann Arbor has plenty of outside activities to keep you interested, including an expansive bike path system and municipal facilities for canoeing, wind-surfing, and year-round ice skating and swimming. You'll find some of the offerings on the Parks and Recreation website.

Get Out in Nature
There are lots of beautiful places nearby if you want to get out and enjoy nature. Nichols Arboretum ("the Arb") is a botanical preserve, with acres of rolling hills and every species of tree native to the state of Michigan. It's a popular walking and playing area in both summer and winter. The grounds are open every day from 8am until dusk. Matthei Botanical Gardens include marked hiking trails of various lengths, landscaped gardens, and an extensive multi-climate conservatory containing plants of botanical interest from all parts of the world. It's a wonderful getaway from the cold winter weather. The outside walkways are open every day from 8:00am to dusk.

Ann Arbor has over 150 parks, which offer everything from tennis courts, swimming pools, and ice rinks, to places to rollerblade or play disc golf. There are also three dog parks where canine pets can play off-leash.

Sports and Fitness
The Ann Arbor Ice Cube is a unique combination of an ice sports center complete with pro shop, a physical therapy center, and a public fitness center.

Golfers will find over 20 golf courses in the Ann Arbor area. Check some of them out here.

The Ann Arbor YMCA offers many classes and workshops along with a weight room, sauna, gymnasium, Nautilus, swimming pool, and racquetball courts.

U-M Recreational Sports and Facilities
The University of Michigan has a variety of self-directed recreational activities, club sports and recreational facilities. Visit the Rec Sports webpages to get started. You can even rent kayaks, canoes, rock-climbing gear, cross-country skis and more at Rec Sports' Outdoor Adventures.

You can find more information on recreational activities by clicking here. If you're in the mood to check out attractions such as farm markets and museums near Ann Arbor, click this link.

Quick Ways to Get Help

Emergency . 911

U-M Psychiatric Emergency Services . 734.996.4747

U-M Hospital Emergency . 734.936.6666

University Health Services . (after hours phone consultation for URGENT health concerns) 734.662.5674

Dental Emergencies . (U-M School of Dentistry) 734.763.6933

National Suicide Prevention Hotline . 800.273.TALK (8255)

SafeHouse Center . 734.995.5444

Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC) . 734.936.3333

Additional resources may be found on the Campus Mindworks webpage and the University's Office of Student Affairs Be Healthy webpage.