- About ME
- Contact the ASO
- ME Courses
- Undergrad Handbook
- Graduate Handbook
- ME UG Symposium
- People & Groups
- News & Info
You are here
Applicants are required to send one set of official academic transcripts to the Rackham Graduate School along with the application and supporting application materials.
- In order to avoid a delay in the transcript being matched with the online application, Rackham requires the Transcript Submission Form to be sent with the transcript.
- Rackham requires the official transcript from the institution an applicant will receive a degree from.
- International students are required to submit the certificate in original language and in English translation to Rackham. For additional information view Rackham's Transcript Requirements for International Applicants.
- Students who are currently attending the University of Michigan (U-M) Ann Arbor campus do not submit an official transcript to Rackham. Rackham can obtain transcripts for all current U-M students.
- Rackham requires official transcript from the institution an applicant will obtain a degree from. If an applicant attended an institution outside the U.S. for two years and transferred to a U.S. institution (and will receive the degree from there), then the applicant should only submit the U.S. transcript to Rackham as listed above.
Uploading Scanned Official Transcripts with Online Application:
- Mechanical Engineering will accept scanned official transcripts with the online application. ME will use the transcripts for a preliminary review of your application before Rackham receives your official transcript. However, please note that Rackham and ME require the official transcript and certificate to be mailed in order to receive an admission decision. Not mailing an official transcript may delay the admission decision.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What GPA does the Graduate Admission Committee look at when considering who to admit to the program?
A: The committee looks for a 3.7 or better GPA on a 4.0 scale.
Q: I uploaded a scanned transcript with the online application. Do I need to submit an official transcript to the University of Michigan?
A: It is required that all applicants must submit one official academic transcript to the Rackham Graduate School along with their application materials. The only exception of anyone not submitting an official transcript applies to applicants who have graduated or working towards graduating from the University of Michigan (U-M). Mechanical Engineering (ME) is able to obtain official transcripts from applicants who earned or will earn their degree from the U-M.
The Transcript Submission Form must be submitted to Rackham when transcripts are mailed to Rackham. The transcript submission form is used to match the transcript with the application. It is used to avoid any delay in processing. If an applicant cannot submit the Transript Submission Form, please write your full name and date of birth on the outside of the envelope. If you cannot do this, Rackham will be able to match your transcript with your application. It just may take longer to match it to the application without the form, full name or date of birth.
Rackham Graduate School requires official transcript from the institution an applicant will receive the degree from there and then the applicant should only submit the U.S. transcript where the degree was earned.
Q: Will Mechanical Engineering accept an uploaded scanned transcript?
A: Yes we will. Uploading a scanned transcript with the application is accepted by ME for a preliminary review of your transcript. However, please note that the Rackham Graduate School and ME Department both require an official transcript to be submitted to Rackham. An admission decision can be delayed if the official transcript is not submitted. The Rackham Graduate School provides the official admit decision to all applicants who apply to our program.
Q: Should I mail one official transcript to the Mechanical Engineering department?
A: No. We ask applicants to mail the official transcript to the Rackham Graduate School. Please see Rackham's transcript link for additional information.
Q: I am an international student. Should I submit the certification in my original language as well as the translated version?
A: Yes. International students are required to submit the certificate in original language and in English to the Rackham Graduate School.
Q: Do I need to have all of my transcripts, diplomas and certificates translated if I am an international student?
A: Yes everything must be translated. Both the original and translations must be mailed to the Rackham Graduate School. Rackham provides additional information on their webpage.
Q: Does Rackham accept World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) translations?
A: No they do not.
Q: What transcripts are not uploaded with the online application?
A: Do not scan or upload academic records printed from your school's website or evaluations provided by WES or ECE.
Q: A group of applicants would like to submit official transcripts together. Is this allowed?
A: Yes applicants can submit one mailing of the official transcripts to the Rackham Graduate School per their transcript guidelines. It is important that each applicant write their full name, date of birth and UMID (if known) on the outside of their envelope. This allows Rackham to quickly match the transcript to your application. The Rackham Graduate School encourages applicants to provide the Transcript/Academic Record Submission Form for each applicant.
Q: I am a current University of Michigan (U-M) Ann Arbor student. Do I need to mail my official transcript to Rackham?
A: No. Rackham does not require currently enrolled U-M students to submit official transcripts. Please adhere to the guidelines provided by the Rackham Graduate School on their Transcript page.
Q. Is it necessary to mail an official transcript? Can I mail the transcript after I get admitted to the program? I am a student and cannot afford to mail my transcript.
A: Unfortunately Rackham and Mechanical Engineering must receive the official transcript before an admission decision is provided. The official transcript is a requirement.
Q: Are photcopies of transcripts and certificate attested by the Office of Registrar acceptable as "official transcripts and certificates."
A: No they are not acceptable as official transcripts and certifcates. We ask applicants to mail the official transcript to the Rackham Graduate School. Please see Rackham's transcript link for additional information.
Please note that once applications materials are submitted to Mechanical Engineering, they become the property of the University of Michigan. We are unable to return any original documents or make copies to release to an applicant or other institution. We encourage you to keep a copy for your records.