Skip to content

Resources & Support

Campus Academic & Other Support Resources

Do you need help with one of your classes?

If you are struggling in one of your classes and are looking for help, please reach out to the ME ASO staff! We can work with you to discuss options for support, including identifying potential peer tutors who have previously completed the class you are in. 


The University of Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) provides a variety of services and data to the campus community to provide a safe environment. Members of the UM community are able to sign up for emergency alerts and review emergency preparedness information, including how to respond in the case of an active attacker.  Learn more about property registration, particularly for electronics and bicycles, here.

Center for the Education of Women

CEW advances diversity and inclusion at the University of Michigan by serving as a resource, voice, and advocate to empower women and nontraditional students. CEW provides immediate and ongoing services and financial support needed to ensure educational success and degree completion. Women and nontraditional students are CEW’s primary constituency, but all students are welcome. CEW also serves those who encounter education and career obstacles based on their non-linear paths to, and experiences within, the University community.  You can learn more about CEW’s workshops, events, and services here.

Resources for Undocumented Students

“The University of Michigan welcomes and supports students without regard to their immigration status.  We will continue to admit students in a manner consistent with our non-discrimination policy.  Once students are admitted, the University is committed to fostering an environment in which each student can flourish.” – President Mark Schlissel.  Undocumented students can find resources here:


The University Library consists of many libraries and vast collections, but the best place to start your research is at the Shapiro Undergraduate Library. Most library research consists of finding books and finding journal articles. To find what books (and journals subscriptions, datafiles, CDs, etc.) that the University Library owns, connect to the Michigan Research Library Network, MIRLYN.

MIRLYN is the University’s computerized library system. It includes an online catalog of the University’s libraries, periodical indexes, access to other Big Ten and regional university catalogs, and other information about the libraries and their holdings. MIRLYN is an important resource, which you will need to access to conduct research.

MEGC & Other Student Groups

The ME Graduate Council is a student body open to all the graduate students at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor. MEGC serves students and the department at large by holding various events and activities that help students to develop professional skills and also holds events to boost student well-being. In addition to social hours, student-led seminars, technical workshops, and professional development activities, MEGC also meets with the ME grad chair to discuss student issues and takes ME grad student concerns to the College of Engineering. More information about MEGC and other Student Groups can be found here.

Rackham Graduate School

Graduate Student Success

GSS works in partnership with faculty and staff in departments and schools across the University to facilitate the academic success of all graduate students. We offer a continuum of services that supports students’ academic achievement from early recruitment stages through final placement. Our programs include the Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP) for undergraduate students interested in attending U-M; the Summer Institute for incoming Rackham Merit Fellows; and the Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP), a program funded by the National Science Foundation to advance underrepresented minority graduate students in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).

Graduate Student Affairs

GSA strives to enhance the quality of graduate student life for Rackham students. Our aim is to promote an environment in which students can achieve their academic and personal goals. Our services are organized to provide innovative programs and activities, professional development, and social events that assist students in their transition and adjustment to graduate school. We provide positive interventions that offer student support and guidance in leading healthy lives and promote the academic and non-academic interests of students throughout the graduate and professional community. Also, GSA staff assists students with personal and academic matters affecting their academic progress and connects students to University resources.

Graduate Student Groups

There are three large student organizations within Rackham Graduate School, including Graduate Rackham International (GRIN), Rackham Student Government (RSG), and Students of Color of Rackham (SCOR).  You can learn more about these groups and others on Rackham’s Getting Involved website.

Services for Students with Disabilities

The Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) provides support services and academic accommodations to students with disabilities at the University of Michigan. SSD advocates for students with vision impairment, learning disabilities, mobility impairment, temporary disabilities, chronic health conditions, mental health conditions, and those who are deaf and hard of hearing.

While some students arrive at the University of Michigan with knowledge of their disabilities, it is normal for students to discover their disabilities for the first time while they are in college and/or graduate school. If you experience roadblocks during your time at the University of Michigan, we encourage you set-up an appointment with SSD, as they are staffed by trained professionals who can provide the appropriate support and accommodations for you.

Information on how to register with SSD can be found here: Please note that University Policy states that two weeks’ prior notice is required for any academic accommodation.

Students with Children

The University of Michigan has developed a website dedicated to the needs of students who juggle parenting or elder care, study and work. Please visit the Students with Children website.

Wellness Resources

The Graduate Coordinator and the entire Academic Services Office (ASO) is committed to your wellbeing in- and outside of the classroom.  The staff in the ASO are happy to listen to your concerns and direct you to appropriate resources as necessary and appropriate.  Below are some helpful resources that we encourage you to seek out should you need them.  Rackham Graduate School has a comprehensive list of mental and physical health resources listed on the Rackham website.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) has a professional staff that includes social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, and religious psychological counselors supplemented by student interns and peer counselors. Individual counseling is available to students for a wide range of personal and interpersonal concerns as well as for problem solving and referral to other campus or community organizations. The agency also provides a variety of group experiences, including ongoing group counseling and workshops on such topics as assertion training and overcoming exam anxiety.

You can access CAPS 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 734-764-8312 (press 0).

University Health Services (UHS)

UHS offers comprehensive outpatient medical services through their medical clinics. In addition to primary medical care, UHS offers a wide variety of specialty clinics, health support services, and health education materials.  To learn more about UHS and the services they offer, go to their website.


GradCare, an HMO with low out-of-pocket costs, is exclusively available to benefit-eligible graduate students, including Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs), Graduate Student Staff Assistants (GSSAs), Graduate Student Research Assistants (GSRAs), benefit-eligible fellowship holders, medical school students, and their eligible dependents. GradCare is administered by Blue Care Network (BCN). As with all U-M health plans, prescription drug coverage is included with enrollment.  You can learn more about GradCare and your coverage here.