Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I enroll in Independent Study – ME 290, 390 or 490 (called RISE: Research Innovation Service and Entrepreneurship)?

AFirst, you will want to locate a professor who will supervise your Independent Study. To find a professor who is completing research in an area you’re interested in, check out the Research section of the ME website. Once you have identified a professor, it is suggested that you email and/or visit their office hours to discuss the possibility of completing a RISE Project with them. Upon their agreement to oversee your RISE experience, the student should complete two steps: 1) Submit a proposal using the RISE link by the deadline listed on the Key Dates page.

After you submit your proposal, your professor and the Undergraduate Chair will review the proposal and either approve it or deny it. If it is denied, they will provide you with feedback and you can submit a new proposal. 2) The student is required to register for the appropriate section of RISE (290,390 or 490) on Wolverine Access before submitting their proposal. 

Please note: Submitting your proposal does NOT automatically register you for the class. 

You must complete the requirement as outlined on the RISE Requirements page.

If you are having trouble enrolling in RISE projects (290, 390, 490) via Wolverine Access, email

Q: How do I apply for CPT?

A: You will first need to take the CPT Online Certification Course and print the relevant documents listed by the International Center before scheduling an appointment with your Academic Advisor. 

Q: I’m on a waitlist for a course, how do I get an override?

A: First, if the course is not a Mechanical Engineering course, you will need to contact the department that offers the course and ask them about their override policies. ME can only process overrides for ME courses. If it is an ME course, please send an email to with your name, UM-ID number, and your desired lecture/section/lab/discussion number(s), as applicable. All override requests are handled via e-mail, so you do not need to stop by the Academic Services Office. Please note that we receive hundreds of override requests once registration begins, they are handled in the order they’re received, and we process override requests as soon as possible.

  • You must have a valid time conflict to receive an override.
  • The advising team has access to your class schedule, so please be accurate and considerate of other students who may need a certain section of a course.
  • Course overrides will not be provided due to personal preferences, such as, “I’m not a morning person. I prefer to not have classes before 10am.”
  • Being #1 on the waitlist does not ensure you will receive an override for a course. Many factors are considered — such as class standing, if the student needs the class to graduate this term, etc. — before an override is issued.

Q: How do I drop, add, or change a course to pass/fail?

A: First, you will want to check the Registrar’s Office Student Registration Deadlines and find the Add/Drop deadlines. If it is before the Add/Drop deadline, then you can add, drop, or modify a course on Wolverine Access. If it is after the Add/Drop deadline, you will have to fill out an Add/Drop/Modify form through Wolverine Access. If you are adding or dropping a course, the professor and an ASO staff member will need to approve the form. If you are changing a course to pass/fail, then only an ASO staff member needs to approve it. If you drop a course after the Add/Drop deadline, you will receive a “W” on your transcript, indicating that you withdrew from the course later in the term. Note that after the “Add/Drop without petition” deadline you can no longer add, drop, or modify a course without submitting a petition to the Undergraduate Chair.

Q: I took a course that should count as a technical elective/advanced math/etc… but it’s not counting it correctly on my degree audit. What should I do?

A: To resolve this issue, you should send an email to, stating the subject and number of the course in question and what category you believe it should count under. One of the program advisors will then verify that the course has not been counted properly and will manually grant an exception in the degree audit system. You do not need to come into the ASO as all of our exception requests are handled through email.

Q: How do I know if a course is a Humanity or Social Science?

A: To check if a course is a humanity or social science, you will need to go to the LS&A Course Guide and find the course that you are interested in. In the course description, there is a category labeled “Reqs”. If, under Reqs, it says HU, then the course is a humanity. If it says SS, then the course is a social science.

Q: What are LACs and PCDCs?

A: LACs are Liberal Arts Courses and include any course marked as SS or HU in the LS&A Course Guide. There are also a number of subjects that, even if the course is not marked as SS or HU, will count as LACs. The full list of these subjects can be found here. PCDCs are Professional and Creative Development Courses and are not required to complete your Intellectual Breadth. However, up to four credits of PCDCs can be counted towards your Intellectual Breadth requirements. PCDCs include courses taught in the Art, Business, Architecture, and Music schools. A full listing of schools that offer PCDCs can be found here. 

Q: What grade do I need to pass MECHENG _____?

A: Refer here for the grade policies. If you were a student in the CoE beginning Fall 2017, you will look under the new grade policy (the first table).  If you were a student in the CoE before Fall 2017, you fall under the old grade policy (the second table).