All mechanical engineering graduate students apply online through the Rackham Graduate School. Please view Rackham’s Checklist for Completing Your Application. We accept applications for fall only, with the exception of Change of Program and SUGS applicants (see left). Please refer to the menu on the left for more information regarding required documents.
Graduate Application Deadlines (Ph.D., MSE, SUGS, JI-SUGS)
The ME Department accepts external Ph.D. and Masters applications during the Fall term only. If you are NOT a current U-M student and apply for the winter term, your application is not eligible to be evaluated and your application fee is not refundable.
|Program||Fall Term Application||Winter Term Application (Current U-M Students Only)|
|Doctoral (PhD)||December 1st||N/A|
|Master (MSE)||January 15th||August 1st|
|Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Studies (SUGS), Joint Institute - Sequential Undergraduate/Graduate Study (JI-SUGS)||January 15th||August 1st|
|Change of Program (Current ME MSE to Ph.D.)||February 1st||October 1st|
We ask that all applicants allow us to provide decisions within the time frame listed below. The ASO will inform the Rackham Graduate School of all application decisions for the Mechanical Engineering (ME) graduate program. Rackham provides the final application decision via e-mail to applicants who were recommended for admission by the Mechanical Engineering Department.
|Fall Term Decisions Provided to Applicants|
|Mid-March through April
Providing Evidence of Financial Support (non U.S. students only):
- If recommended for admission by Mechanical Engineering, the Rackham Graduate School will notify applicants to submit the Affidavit of Financial Support along with required financial documents (e.g., bank statement).
- Please do not submit any financial documents until requested by Rackham. Financial documents and immigration documents will not be kept if they were submitted during the application period.
- Financial document deadlines: May 15 for the Fall term and November 15th for the Winter term. If financial documents are not received by these dates, Rackham will withdraw offers of admission.
Visit Rackham’s website for information regarding:
- Application Fees and Waivers
- Tuition & Funding
- CV & Statements
- Tests The GRE is required. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL/IELTS) is required of all non-native speakers. The University of Michigan requires a minimum TOEFL score for admission: 84 for the Internet Based TOEFL. (For other English test minimum scores, please refer to the Rackham web site.)
- Application Process
- Checking the Status of Your Application
- Immigration Documents
- Get Help
Deferrals are available for up to one year under special conditions. Typically, circumstances such as employment, enrollment at another institution, funding, or indecisiveness regarding enrollment are not appropriate justifications for requesting deferred enrollment.
To request a deferral, send an email to email@example.com. International students cannot defer admission to Spring or Spring/Summer terms. There are not enough credits to maintain the F1 visa status.