Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Faculty Member, Institute of Gerontology
Biomedical Manufacturing and Design Lab
2350 Hayward St.
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2125
Phone: (734) 647-1766
Ph.D., Purdue University, 1991
M.S., National Cheng Kung University, 1986
B.S., National Cheng Kung University, 1984
Manufacturing; biomedical device design; biomedical manufacturing; computed tomography for inspection; neurovascular devices; precision machining of advanced engineering materials; additive manufacturing; cyber-physical manufacturing systems for assistive technology
Honors & Awards
- ASME William T. Ennor Manufacturing Technology Award, 2021
- The 20 Most Influential Professors in Smart Manufacturing, Smart Manufacturing, SME, 2021
- Top Reviewer, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 2019-2020
- SME Education Award, 2020
- CIRP Fellow, 2019
- Master’s Mentorship Award, Rackham Graduate School, University of Michigan, 2019
- SME Frederick Taylor Research Medal, 2018
- ASME Blackall Machine Tool and Gage Award, 2017
- ASME Swanson Fellowship, 2016
- ASME Milton Shaw Manufacturing Research Medal, 2014
- Best Paper Award, International Conference of Manufacturing Technology Engineers, 2014
- Best Paper Award, International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing, 2012
- Best Paper Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2012
- Research Excellence Award, College of Engineering, The University of Michigan, 2011
- Faculty Recognition Award, University of Michigan, 2010
- Best Paper Award, International Conference on Computing, Communications and Control Technologies, 2010
- US Fulbright Scholar, 2009
- Fellow, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2009
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2008
- CRLT Gilbert Witaker Fund for the Improvement of Teaching, 2006
- International Adjunct Professor, National Cheng Kung University, 2006-present
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, Society of Automotive Engineers, 2004
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2000
- BOSS Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1999
Tenured and Tenure-Track
U-M researchers helping to develop machine for N95 masks
$3M partnership seeks to enable on-demand local manufacturing of next-generation respirators
Albert Shih named in SME's Top 20 Most Influential Academics Shaping Smart Manufacturing
The Society of Manufacturing Engineers names Albert Shih in their list of 20 Most Influential Academics Shaping Smart Manufacturing.
William T. Ennor Manufacturing Technology Award presented to Albert Shih
Albert Shih receives the 2021 William T. Ennor Manufacturing Technology Award from ASME.
Albert Shih Elected Fellow of the International Academy for Production Engineering
We congratulate Professor Shih on this prestigious honor.
Reconstructive surgery tech gets start in ME 450 class
Born in an engineering class, now the ‘arterial everter’ has been licensed to Baxter.
Shih receives 2018 SME Taylor Research Medal
This award honors significant published research leading to a better understanding of materials, facilities, principles, operations and their application to improve manufacturing processes.
Cooperation and Control: A Systems Perspective
Improving the functionality of robotic and manufacturing systems "comes down to understanding your system and identifying a strategy for improving performance," says ME Assistant Professor Kira Barton, whose laboratory combines fundamental and experimental modeling and controls research, from multi-agent coordination to additive manufacturing
A New Textbook for ME 482 Machining Processes
The textbook is titled Analysis of Machining and Machine Tools and was co-authored by U-M ME professor Albert Shih and Georgia Tech professor Steven Y. Liang.
Shih Wins Manufacturing Research Medal
Albert Shih’s contributions to the science and technology of manufacturing were recently rewarded with ASME’s Shaw Manufacturing Research Medal.
ME Plays Integral Role in MSEC 2014
ME Lab Tour to be Part of MSEC 2014
ME Faculty Receive CoE Awards
Seven ME faculty have been honored with 2011 College of Engineering Awards.
Kruger and Shih receive a best paper award at CCCT 2010
Grant Kruger and Albert Shih received a best paper award at the CCCT 2010 for their paper on "Reactive Agent and Visualization System for Anesthesia Support in the Operating Room."
RiskWatch Will Help with Critical Care Monitoring
ME Professor Albert Shih and Research Investigator Grant Kruger are among participants in a project to develop a new display and monitoring system for use in critical care and operating room environments.
Shih and Geiger's Surgical Clamp Licensed to STORZ
The UM Medical Innovation Center, co-founded by ME Professor Albert Shih and James Geiger, associate professor of surgery, fosters interdisciplinary collaboration on the creation of medical devices, such as the recently licensed pyloric clamp.
Shih Receives Rackham Faculty Recognition Award
ME Professor Albert Shih is honored by the Dean of Rackham Graduate School for his outstanding achievements as a researcher, teacher, and mentor.
Johnson Named Outstanding GSI
The ME PhD candidate is one of twenty graduate student instructors recognized for their outstanding teaching during the 2009-2010 academic year.
Albert Shih Joins Faculty