Professor Emeritus, Mechanical Engineering
C.D. Mote Jr. Distinguished University Professor Emeritus, Mechanical Engineering
William Clay Ford Professor Emeritus of Manufacturing
Deputy Director, NSF Engineering Research Center for Reconfigurable Machining Systems
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of California-Berkeley, 1979
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University, 1975
B.S., Engineering, Swarthmore College, 1973
Modeling, analysis and control of dynamic systems; rotating or translating elastic systems; manufacturing automation; vehicle control.
Honors & Awards
- Edward Law Emeritus Outstanding Service Award, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2018-19
- Special Award, TÜBİTAK, 2012
- Stephen S. Attwood Award, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2012
- Fellow, International Federation of Automatic Control, 2010
- Rufus Oldenburger Medal, ASME, 2008
- Albert M. Sargent Progress Award, SME, 2007
- National Academy of Engineering, October 2006
- Graduate Colloquium Speaker, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 2006
- Sectional Keynote Paper: Strategic Issues in Sensors and Smart Structures, by S.C. Liu, M. Tomizuka and A.G. Ulsoy, 3rd European Conference on Structural Control, 2006
- Dynamic Systems & Control Division Outstanding Investigator Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2004
- Dynamic Systems & Control Division Leadership Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2002
- J. of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control Best Paper Award (with Liang-Kuang Chen), "Identification of a Driver Steering Model, and Model Uncertainty, from Driving Simulator Data", American Society of Mechanical Engineers, November 2002
- Technology and Innovation Award, 1999, Industry Week, Agile Line Boring Project, Member of Joint University of Michigan and Lamb Technicon Research Team
- Fellow, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1996
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1993
- O. Hugo Schuck Best Paper Award, American Automatic Control Council, 1993
- Excellence in Service Award, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, The University of Michigan, 1993
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1986
- Wood Award, Forest Products Research Society, 1979
Smarter 3D Printers: Improving Precision, Speed and Reliability at Low Cost
Three-dimensional (3D) printing is about to get smarter.
Peng receives E. & M. Ulsoy Citation Leader Award
The E. & M. Ulsoy Citation Leader Award is presented annually to the ME Faculty member who has the largest number of citations to his/her research work in the Scopus Database that year.
Ulsoy receives ASME Rudolf Kalman Best Paper Award
This award is given annually by the Dynamic Systems and Control Division of ASME to the authors of the best paper published in the ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control during the preceding year
U-M ME Faculty hosted the 12th IFAC Workshop on Time Delay Systems
The 12th IFAC Workshop was held June 28-30, 2015, at the Michigan League
Ulsoy Selected to Receive Outstanding Investigator Award
Professor Ulsoy will be accepting the Outstanding Investigator Award next month at the International Symposium on Flexible Automation.
Ulsoy elected IEEE Fellow
Galip Ulsoy is elected for his contributions to the control of automotive and manufacturing systems and time-delay system.
Ulsoy receives ASME Charles Russ Richards Award
This award is presented to the engineering graduate who has demonstrated outstanding achievement in mechanical engineering twenty years or more following graduation
Ulsoy receives TÜBİTAK Special Award
This prestigious honor is awarded to a Turkish Scientist or Engineer who lives and works in another country. It corresponds to the National Medal of Science or National Medal of Technology in the USA
A New Breed of Robots That Drive Themselves
Thanks to advances in control systems, vehicles can carry out tasks without human guidance.
Ulsoy Elected IFAC Fellow
The International Federation of Automatic Control recognizes ME Professor A. Galip Ulsoy's extraordinary contributions to control engineering education.
Ulsoy's Book Published
ME Professor A. Galip Ulsoy's recently published textbook discusses a novel method for analysis and control of time-delay systems.
Ulsoy to Lecture on Intelligent Machines and Smart Products
The lecture will be held on Monday, March 29 at 4:00 p.m. in the Amphitheatre of the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies Building
Haraldsdottir Receives SWE's Highest Award
The Society of Women Engineers recognized ME alumna Aslaug Haraldsdottir, Ph.D., with this year's Achievement Award for her work in air traffic management.
Ulsoy's Graduate Students Receive Awards
Rachael Bis and Diane Peters have received a number of awards this year in recognition of their recent work.
Ulsoy and Lim Develop an Intelligent Stamping System
The result of their labor is an intelligent computer-aided stamping system that could significantly improve the process of sheet metal stamping and alleviate many of the glitches involved in part production.
Ulsoy Receives Oldenburger Medal
Ulsoy Appointed to Army Board
Stefanopoulou Elected as ASME Fellow
Ulsoy Received the 2002 Leadership Award