Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Miller Faculty Scholar
Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, Mechanical Engineering
2350 Hayward, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Phone: (734) 763-0822
Ph.D. Engineering Education and Chemistry, Purdue University, 2008
M.S. Chemistry, Purdue University, 2006
B.E. Chemical Engineering, University of Dayton, 2003
Front-end design processes; idea generation; engineering creativity and divergent thinking; design cognition; socially-engaged design; socio-technical engineering skillsets; design ethnography; design problem finding and framing; design prototyping; design education
Honors & Awards
- University of Michigan Henry Russell Award, 2022
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Best Paper in the Educational Research Methods Division, 2021
- Professor of the Term for UM Pi Rho chapter of Pi Tau Sigma, 2021
- Women in Science and Engineering Program Achievement Award, University of Michigan, 2020
- Miller Faculty Scholar, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2020
- Monroe-Brown Foundation Education Excellence Award, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2020
- Achievement Award, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 2020
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2019
- Top 15 Best Papers in the DRS2018 Conference Proceedings, 2018
- IEEE Transactions on Education Theodore E. Batchman Best Paper Award, IEEE Transactions on Education, 2017
- Best Paper Award, American Society for Engineering Education PIC II Division, 2016
- Best Paper in the Design in Engineering Education Division, American Society for Engineering Education, 2015
- PIC II Division Best Paper Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 2015
- Best Paper in the Graduate Studies Division Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 2014
- Best Paper in the Design in Engineering Education Division, American Society for Engineering Education, 2014
- Best Paper, 15th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, Dublin, 2013
- Division I (Education in the Professions) Outstanding Publication of the Year Award, American Education Research Association, 2013
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Mentorship in Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, 2012
- Best Paper in the Graduate Studies Division Award, American Society for Engineering Education, 2011
- Best Design Cognition Paper Award, Design Computing and Cognition, 2010
- Educational Research Methods Division Apprentice Faculty Grant (2008), American Society for Engineering Education, 2008
Tenured and Tenure-Track
Regents Approve New Titles of Three ME Professors
Shanna Daly, Dawn Tilbury, and Margaret Wooldridge receive new titles approved by the Regents.
Shanna Daly receives Henry Russel Award
Four professors receive Henry Russel Award and one is U-M ME professor, Shanna Daly.
‘Transportation is a form of freedom’: How to make it more equitable
Why we need greater collaboration among transportation companies, cities, nonprofits and academia.
Shanna Daly and Angela Violi Recognized for Outstanding Work by U-M WiSE
Both professors have been recognized by the Women in Science and Engineering Program for their achievements in their field and in education.
Daly and Dasgupta Selected as Miller Faculty Scholars
This award, endowed by engineering alumnus Larry Miller, is set up to recognize junior faculty members.
Six College of Engineering Awards Accepted by ME Faculty
ARC Team, Shanna Daly, Karl Grosh, Wai Lu, Chinedum Okwudire, Michael Umbriac, all have accepted College of Engineering Awards.
Shanna Daly honored with NSF Career Award
Shanna Daly has been awarded the National Science Foundation's CAREER Program Award.
ME Welcomes New Faculty Members Jesse Austin-Breneman and Shanna Daly
The ME department is pleased to welcome Jesse Austin-Breneman and Shanna Daly, who will be joining the faculty as assistant professors