Professor Emeritus, Mechanical Engineering
Herrick Professor Emeritus of Engineering
Individual Home Page
Compliant Systems Design Laboratory
MForesight - Alliance for Manufacturing Foresight
2350 Hayward, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Phone: (734) 936-0357
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1988
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1986
M.S., Materials Engineering, University of Mississippi, 1982
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Osmania University, 1980
Bio-inspired engineering design - soft robots, complaint and shape-adaptive systems; Topology, size and shape optimization of complaint mechanisms - product design for no-assembly; Design for manufacturability; Technology policy and advanced manufacturing.
Honors & Awards
- University of Michigan Office of Research Distinguished Innovator Award (2017)
- Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) Tibbetts Award (2015)
- University of Michigan Regents’ Award for Distinguished Public Service (2014).
- Herrick Foundation Endowed Professorship (2013-present)
- Mechanical Engineering Achievement Award, University of Michigan (2012)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Ruth and Joel Spira Outstanding Educator Award (Society Award 2010)
- ASME Swanson Foundation White House Fellowship (2009-12)
- Best Paper Award, ASME International Design Technical Conf., Montreal, QC (2010)
- Best Paper Award, ASME 2009 International Design Technical Conferences
- International Design (ID) Magazine First Place Winner of the 2006 Sharpest Product.
- ASME Machine Design Award – highest society award in field of Mechanical Design (2004)
- ASME Fellow (2002)
- American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Best Paper Award - AIAA Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference, Aug.2001, Montreal. AIAA-2001-4144
- ASME Leonardo Da Vinci Award “for significant original contributions to the field of mechanical design through invention of a device with practical applications” (1997)
- Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics Teaching Excellence Award (1995)
- Best Paper Award in Applied Mechanisms and Robotics, National Conf. Cincinnati (1993)
- George Wood Award for “Contributions to the Growth of the Science of Applied Mechanisms and Robotics” (1993)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Ralph Teetor Educational Award. (1993).
- Mechanical Engineering Department Teaching Excellence Award (1993)
- Proctor and Gamble “Best Paper Award” in Applied Mechanisms and Robotics (1989)
- Faculty advisor to four ASME student-design competition awards – First place Undergraduate Div. 2007, Third Place Graduate Div. 2004, Second Place Graduate Div. 2007, First Place Graduate Div. 1994 and First Place Undergraduate Div. 1992.
The pandemic has revealed the cracks in US manufacturing: Here’s how to fix them
In the Conversation, Sridhar Kota talks about how the global pandemic has interrupted supply chains for almost 75% of US companies.
Repurposed Industrial Respirator Could Free Ventilators for COVID-19 Patients
Researchers from the University of Michigan have developed a helmet solution to provide support for COVID-19 patients, protect health care workers and safeguard hospital systems.
Kota receives Distinguished University Innovator Award
Sponsored by the U-M Office of Research, the award honors faculty who have made important and lasting contributions to society by developing novel ideas and insights through their research, and then translating them to practice
Kota's article featured in Fortune Magazine
Professor Sridhar Kota's article, "Slightly Better iPhones Won't Fix the U.S. Economy," was featured in Fortune Magazine.
Kota's article featured in Wired Magazine
Professor Sridhar Kota's article, "Universities Must Help Educate Woefully Uninformed Lawmakers," was featured in Wired Magazine.
Professor Kota's article featured in Detroit Free Press
"The biggest long-term threat to American manufacturing isn't foreign competition. It's our own lack of interest," said Sridhar Kota, professor of mechanical engineering.
ME Faculty member Sridhar Kota to lead $5.8 million national manufacturing 'think-and-do' tank
ME Professor Sridhar Kota will lead a national consortium, funded $5.8 million by NSF and NIST, to identify emerging advanced manufacturing technologies to enhance the country’s innovation ecosystem, manufacturing competitiveness and national security, th
NASA tests shape-changing aircraft wing
A revolutionary shape-changing aircraft wing took to the air recently in a successful test flight. The equipment is developed by Ann Arbor-based FlexSys, Inc., founded and led by ME professor Sridhar Kota
Kota receives Regents’ Award for Distinguished Public Service
The "Regents' Award for Distinguished Public Service" was established to honor extraordinary distinction in public service by members of the University faculty
Scientific American Features Article by Professor Kota
Scientific American has featured the work of Professor of Mechanical Engineering Sridhar Kota in its April edition. Kota’s article outlines the functions of devices developed according to compliant design.
Kota’s FlexFoil Technology Gains Recognition
Sridhar Kota’s FlexFoil technology was premiered at the AIAA show, held in January 2014. The new flexible aircraft wing surface will improve both aircraft performance and fuel efficiency. A test flight by NASA will occur in July 2
Kota selected to receive Herrick Professorship of Manufacturing in Engineering
This professorship was established in 1995 by the Herrick Foundation of Detroit to recognize distinguished work in interdisciplinary, mission-oriented manufacturing
Kota Sparks Advanced Manufacturing Momentum in Washington
Advanced manufacturing refers to the use of information technology or other new technologies in the manufacture of new or emerging products as well as the use of advanced processes during the manufacture of existing products
Perkins, Kota, and Peng to be Keynote Speakers in the upcoming ASME IDETC
At the upcoming ASME 2011 International Design Engineering Technical Conference (IDETC) in Washington, DC, professors Noel Perkins, Sridhar Kota, and Huei Peng will be keynote speakers.
Kota Receives ASME Educator Award
The award recognizes ME Professor Sridhar Kota√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢s outstanding commitment to engineering design education.
Sridhar Kota Elected ASME Fellow