Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, Mechanical Engineering
2350 Hayward, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Phone: (734) 647-8249
Ph.D., Medical Engineering and Bioastronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University, Division of Health Sciences and Technology, 2007
S.M., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2000
B.S., Materials Engineering, University of Kentucky, 1998
Sensory augmentation, rehabilitation engineering, biomechanics, medical device design (emphasis on global health contexts and task-shifting devices), design science, engineering design education
Honors & Awards
- Miller Faculty Scholar Endowed Award, The University of Michigan, 2013
- University Undergraduate Teaching Award, The University of Michigan, 2012
- Provost's Teaching Innovation Prize, The University of Michigan, 2012
- Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium Invited Speaker, National Academy of Engineering, 2011
- Raymond J. and Monica E. Schultz Outreach and Diversity Award, College of Engineering, The University of Michigan, 2011
- Mechanical Engineering Achievement Award, The University of Michigan, 2011
- Outreach & Diversity Award Nomination, U-M College of Engineering, 2010
- Professor of the Term, Winter 2010, Pi Tau Sigma Michigan Phi Rho, 2010
- Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium Participant, National Academy of Engineering, 2010
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2009
- $50K Entrepreneurship Competition Winner, MIT, 2005
- Graduate Fellowship, National Science Foundation, 1998-2002
- Amelia Earhart Fellowship, Zonta International, 1999
Tenured and Tenure-Track
Sienko receives ASME Engineering Education Donald N. Zwiep Innovation in Education Award
This award recognizes ME programs/departments for exceptional and innovative engagement in and fostering advances in ME education.
New gift will support two existing funds at ME
The gift will supplement the Michael E. Korybalski Endowment Fund and the Student Ghana Initiative-Sienko Fund.
Sienko Research Group wins first place in the Unite for Sight Innovation Pitch Contest for SubQ assist device
The device was presented at the Global Health & Innovation Conference by Ibrahim Mohedas
Sienko gives talk on Global Health Design Initiative at National Academies workshop
GHDI "focuses on training a new generation of engineers to collaborate with stakeholders to define problems and develop and implement solutions to address essential health care challenges through engineering design."
Four ME faculty received named professorships
The recipients are: Michael Thouless, Huei Peng, Steve Ceccio, and Kathleen Sienko
Professor Sienko Selected as Miller Faculty Scholar
Professor Sienko has become a Miller Faculty Scholar and will have the opportunity to expand both of her labs
Sienko featured in video on ASME site
The video showcases Sienko's talk at the ASME 2013 International Design Engineering Technical Conference entitled "The Use of Design Ethnography in Engineering Global Health Technologies."
Sienko Wins Provost's Teaching Innovation Prize
This award recognizes faculty who have developed an innovative project and encourages the dissemination of best practices by sharing promising innovations with faculty more broadly
ME Faculty win Faculty Recognition Awards and University Undergraduate Teaching Awards
Associate Professor Wei Lu and Assistant Professor Kathleen Sienko are the recipients of two prestigious awards for U-M faculty in the early phase of their careers
Sienko Attends NAE Frontiers of Engineering Education Symposium
Kathleen Sienko was invited to participate as one of 53 innovative early-career educators in the second NAE Frontiers of Engineering Education (FOEE) symposium.
ME Faculty Receive CoE Awards
Seven ME faculty have been honored with 2011 College of Engineering Awards.
Male Circumcision Project Awarded Gates GCE Grant and Conference Honor
The goal of the project is the design and development of a low-cost, adjustable, and culturally appropriate adult male circumcision tool.
Three ME Faculty Receive CAREER Awards