Professor, Mechanical Engineering
ME Associate Chair for Facilities and Planning
2350 Hayward, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Phone: (734) 647-7858
Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Princeton University, 2001
Ph.D., Solid Mechanics, Tsinghua University, 1998
M.S., Solid Mechanics, Tsinghua University, 1995
B.S., Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, 1994
Energy storage and electrochemistry; simulation of nano/microstructure evolution; mechanics in nano/micro systems; advanced manufacturing; mechanical properties and performance of advanced materials and relation to microstructures.
Honors & Awards
- George J. Huebner, Jr. Research Excellence Award, College of Engineering, 2020
- Creative, Innovative, Daring (C/I/D) Award, College of Engineering, 2019
- Ted Kennedy Family Faculty Team Excellence Award, College of Engineering, 2017
- Gustus L Larson Memorial Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2014
- Distinguished Professor Award, Novelis and College of Engineering, 2014
- Department Achievement Award, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 2013
- Invited to National Academies Keck Futures Initiative Conference, 2013
- Faculty Recognition Award, Rackham Graduate School, 2012
- Elected Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineering, 2012
- Invited to National Academies Keck Futures Initiative Conference, 2012
- Travel Award for Nanoelectronic Devices for Defense and Security Conference, 2009
- USNC/TAM-ICTAM Fellowship, US National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 2008
- Summer Faculty Fellow, U.S. Air Force, 2007
- Robert M. Caddell Memorial Research Achievement Award, U-M College of Engineering MEAM, 2006
- Summer Faculty Fellow, U.S. Air Force, 2006
- Summer Faculty Fellow, U.S. Air Force, 2005
- Summer Institute Fellow, National Science Foundation, 2004
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2004
- MRS Gold Award for Graduate Research, Material Research Society, 2000
- Sayre Prize, Princeton University, 1999
- Robert J. McGrattan Literature Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1998
Tenured and Tenure-Track
New approach reduces EV battery testing time by 75%
System developed at the University of Michigan saves time and money in the race to create better batteries for the electric vehicle revolution.
Nature Communications Publishes Research on Nanoscale Mechanics at vdW Heterointerfaces
U-M ME Professor Wei Lu and his student Hossein Rokni have released a paper in Nature Communications entitled “Direct measurements of interfacial adhesion in 2D materials and van der Waals heterostructures in ambient air.
Wei Lu selected as fellow for the Public Engagement Faculty Fellowship program
The Center for Academic Innovation has selected Wei Lu as a Fellow in the 2021 cohort of the competitive Public Engagement Faculty Fellowship program.
Six College of Engineering Awards Accepted by ME Faculty
ARC Team, Shanna Daly, Karl Grosh, Wai Lu, Chinedum Okwudire, Michael Umbriac, all have accepted College of Engineering Awards.
Rokni receives 2018 Park AFM Scholarship Award
This award is presented to a PhD student or postdoctoral scholar for performing exceptional nanocharacterization research with the quality and impact of an exemplary nanoscience scholar.
Lu's research featured in ACS Central Science
Professor Wei Lu and PhD student Hossein Rokni's research focuses on the nanoscale probing of interaction in atomically thin layered materials.
Liang and Lu's research published in Nature's Microsystems & Nanoengineering
Their paper is titled "Scaling behavior of nanoimprint and nanoprinting lithography for producing nanostructures of molybdenum disulfide."
ME Faculty Receive CoE Awards
Five ME faculty members received College of Engineering Awards in 2017. These recipients include Shorya Awtar, Margaret Wooldridge, Wei Lu, Michael Thouless, and Miki Banu
Lu receives Gustus L. Larson Memorial Award
The award honors engineering graduates who show outstanding achievement in mechanical engineering within ten to twenty years after the completion of their degrees
ME Faculty win Faculty Recognition Awards and University Undergraduate Teaching Awards
Associate Professor Wei Lu and Assistant Professor Kathleen Sienko are the recipients of two prestigious awards for U-M faculty in the early phase of their careers
Welcome Assistant Professor Xiaogan Liang and Assistant Professor Allen Liu
Assistant Professors Liang and Liu will both officially start in Winter 2012.